Learn Korean

Addressing Peers at School

Addressing Peers at School: seonbaeand
In Korea, age is very important in establishing the relationship between
speakers. Therefore, when you are at university, you will address people in
the years above or below you with special titles.
The title for someone in a year above you is ‘선배 (seonbae)’ and ‘후배
(hubae)’ is used for someone in a lower year level. For example, if you are
a 2nd year student, you are the ‘seonbae’ of a 1st year student and ‘hubae’ of
a 3rd year student.
If you are not very close to a person in an older year level, you would add
the respectful ‘님 (nim)’ to the title, so that they are called ‘seonbae-nim’.
However, if you are very close to someone in an older year, you may also
one of the kinship terms (hyeong, nuna, eonni, oppa )


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s